HOCKEY: Ely City’s ladies close in on league leaders and youngsters enjoy another successful Cambs League outing
- Credit: Archant
Ely City’s ladies closed the gap at the top after an excellent win last weekend.
The local side stormed to within one point of joint East Leagues Division 3NW leaders Bourne Deeping and Cambridge City 4ths with a 6-2 win over Cambridge University 3rds.
Jo Rayner scored a hat-trick, Sarah Sutton hit two and Becca Sharpe also scored as Ely turned in another dominant performance to record their eighth win of the season.
Ely’s women’s second team are also in high spirits after they claimed their first point of the season with a 0-0 draw against Wisbech Town 2nds.
The men’s seconds hit their opponents Kettering 4ths for six with a 6-1 victory in Division 6NW(S) but the 3rds didn’t fair so well in their game against Kettering 3rds – they lost 6-0.
You may also want to watch:
Also in action last weekend were the club’s junior players.
Under 12, 10 and eight teams took part in the second Cambs League tournament at Peterborough and “played well with much more confidence,” according to club spokesman, Julia Gilbert.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 10 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months