Highs and lows for Soham in bizarre bank holiday weekend

IT was a tumultuous bank holiday weekend for Soham as they meted out a hammering in the FA Cup on Saturday before being hammered themselves just two days later in the league.

The Greens were in excellent form as they battered Burnham Ramblers 5-1 at Julius Martin Lane to progress to the next round of the FA Cup but were brought crashing back down to earth on Monday as they were thrashed 4-1 at Maldon and Tiptree.

The loss leaves Steve Fallon’s men without a win or a point from two league games played so far, though they will have the perfect shot at revenge over Maldon as they face off against them in the FA Cup again on September 8 at the lane.

Against Burnham, Robbie Mason continued in his rich vein of goal-scoring form by opening the scoring after just five minutes.

Dan Cotton made it 2-0 with 16 minutes on the clock before Mason added his second, and Soham’s third, just shy of the half-four mark.

To Burnham’s credit they managed to pull a goal back just two minutes later as captain Brad Hunter finished from close range.

The two respective goalkeepers swapped some good saves before, on the hour mark, Dan Cotton was selflessly played in by Mason to add a fourth.

Most Read

The scoring was completed late in the piece by Buster Harradine, who collected a sharp cross from the by-line to slot home.

Despite a good start from Soham in their encounter with Maldon, it was the home side who would draw first blood, Dave Wareham mopping up from close range.

The goal knocked the stuffing out of Soham and they fell two behind just a few minutes later as Michael Das finished after collecting a long ball.

Dan Cotton slotted home from the penalty spot in the 36th minute after a defender was penalised for handling in the area.

The balance of play continued to swing between the two sides after the break as Soham pressed for an equaliser and Maldon hit them on the break, but it wasn’t until the final 10 minutes that the hosts were able to put the game to bed.

Jamie Robinson slotted home from the penalty spot after being fouled by Martin Bromwich and Joe Gardiner rubbed salt into the wound with two minutes remaining, nodding home unchallenged from close range.