Heavyweights tame Tigers
Lowestoft and Yarmouth 71 Ely Tigers 7 WITH several key players missing, Ely were forced to field a light pack and inexperienced backs. The visitors plight was not helped by Jimmy Gilbourn s early injury and the home side took full advantage. A 12-minute
Lowestoft and Yarmouth 71
Ely Tigers 7
WITH several key players missing, Ely were forced to field a light pack and inexperienced backs.
The visitors' plight was not helped by Jimmy Gilbourn's early injury and the home side took full advantage.
You may also want to watch:
A 12-minute period saw the home side score five tries to lead 27-0. The Ely midfield continued to struggle and two more touchdowns gave Lowestoft and Yarmouth a 39-0 advantage at the break.
The home side continued to turn the screw in the second half and increased their lead to 59-0 before Ely finally broke through.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
The visitors took a scrum against the head and Daniel Coulson powered over for a try converted by Sam Sanders-Hewett.
Lowestoft and Yarmouth scored two tries late on to run out 71-7 winners.
Upper Clapton II 27
Ely Tigers II 19
TIGERS were looking to maintain their good run of results and Andrew Manning, playing at lock, scored his first try for the club to put Ely 5-0 up.
The home side drew level but Alex Ferrentinos' try and Pete Vousden's conversion gave Ely a 12-5 half-time lead.
Upper Clapton hit back and scored three tries to lead 22-12 but Tigers clawed their way back into the game when Ferrentinos scored his second try and Vousden slotted over the conversion.
Ely chased the game but were caught on the break in the closing seconds and the home side touched-down to make the final score 27-19.