Heat’s on in opener
GIRLS FOOTBALL – Under-10s Mepal 2 Cottenham 2 THE sun was certainly shining on Mepal as the girls warmed up for their first competitive match. The game started very well and both teams were evenly matched. The team was changed for the second 15 minutes
GIRLS' FOOTBALL - Under-10s
Mepal 2 Cottenham 2
THE sun was certainly shining on Mepal as the girls warmed up for their first competitive match.
The game started very well and both teams were evenly matched. The team was changed for the second 15 minutes and Cottenham had most of the play, scoring a lucky goal in the dying seconds.
You may also want to watch:
The teams changed again for the third 15 minutes and Mepal picked themselves up, and after some lovely passing Emma Horsford scored.
Shortly afterwards, Chloe Lord was on the ball, running at the goal, and scored a second for Mepal. The final 15 minutes saw another team change and shortly after kick-off Cottenham broke through the Mepal defenders and put the ball past the keeper.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 6 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 7 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 8 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
The Mepal girls played well right through the final 15 minutes and came away with a 2-2 draw.
Cottenham 2 Mepal 1
SATURDAY was only Mepal's second match, a return game against Cottenham.
The first half saw the teams evenly matched wih defenders Abbey Harnwell and Becky Halls playing well and keeping Cottenham from scoring. Aiysha Lloyd worked hard in midfield but after a good first half the score was 0-0.
Cottenham started the second half positively and pushed forward to score the first goal. Lauren Martin made three great saves to stop Cottenham going further ahead but was eventually beaten by a fierce shot.
The girls picked themselves up and during the final five minutes Charlotte Baldwin made a solo run and scored a fantastic goal for Mepal.
Mepal: Emma Horsford, Georgia Day, Aiysha Lloyd, Lauren Martin, Chloe Lord, Abbey Harnwell, Becky Halls, Charlotte Baldwin, Natasha Phillips.