Heat’s on in opener
GIRLS FOOTBALL – Under-10s Mepal 2 Cottenham 2 THE sun was certainly shining on Mepal as the girls warmed up for their first competitive match. The game started very well and both teams were evenly matched. The team was changed for the second 15 minutes
GIRLS' FOOTBALL - Under-10s
Mepal 2 Cottenham 2
THE sun was certainly shining on Mepal as the girls warmed up for their first competitive match.
The game started very well and both teams were evenly matched. The team was changed for the second 15 minutes and Cottenham had most of the play, scoring a lucky goal in the dying seconds.
The teams changed again for the third 15 minutes and Mepal picked themselves up, and after some lovely passing Emma Horsford scored.
Shortly afterwards, Chloe Lord was on the ball, running at the goal, and scored a second for Mepal. The final 15 minutes saw another team change and shortly after kick-off Cottenham broke through the Mepal defenders and put the ball past the keeper.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 5 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 6 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Yarn-bombing returns to city ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
The Mepal girls played well right through the final 15 minutes and came away with a 2-2 draw.
Cottenham 2 Mepal 1
SATURDAY was only Mepal's second match, a return game against Cottenham.
The first half saw the teams evenly matched wih defenders Abbey Harnwell and Becky Halls playing well and keeping Cottenham from scoring. Aiysha Lloyd worked hard in midfield but after a good first half the score was 0-0.
Cottenham started the second half positively and pushed forward to score the first goal. Lauren Martin made three great saves to stop Cottenham going further ahead but was eventually beaten by a fierce shot.
The girls picked themselves up and during the final five minutes Charlotte Baldwin made a solo run and scored a fantastic goal for Mepal.
Mepal: Emma Horsford, Georgia Day, Aiysha Lloyd, Lauren Martin, Chloe Lord, Abbey Harnwell, Becky Halls, Charlotte Baldwin, Natasha Phillips.