Harvey beats time barrier
ELY and District Cycling Club s young protégé, Harvey Leadbeater, smashed his way through the 30-minute barrier, for a 10 mile distance, with a superb 28:54. From the outset this young rider has shown the guts and determination needed to push himself to
ELY and District Cycling Club's young protégé, Harvey Leadbeater, smashed his way through the 30-minute barrier, for a 10 mile distance, with a superb 28:54.
From the outset this young rider has shown the guts and determination needed to push himself to the absolute limit. Leadbeater will undoubtedly continue his ascent through the leader-board in the 2007 season.
New rider Nick William of Ely turned out to ride the testing Witchford - Sutton course, facing a head wind on the way out, and making up for lost time on the way back with a fine first effort of 32:23, just outside Ely favourite Ray Legg, who timed 31:29.
Top three finishers fared well, with Alan Newark (CC Breckland) blazing a trail at 22:14, leaving Geoff Brewster and Steve Presland to fight for second place and they finished with just 10 seconds between them, on 23:28 and 23:38 respectively.
'Carbon' Geoff Brewster recently competed in the World Duathlon Championships and came an outstanding eighth place in his age group, the first British finisher with a time of 2:04:17.
That special tandem team, of Colin and Celia Whitechurch, dazzled once again with a second fastest time of the evening, 22:58.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
The last Tuesday evening event is next week, and this is the 10 Mile Sutton-Ely course. Riders should meet at the Elean Industrial Estate 15 minutes before the official start at 6.45pm.
Check out the club website www.elycyclingclub.com or telephone Marc Cox on 01223 263862.