Harvey beats time barrier
ELY and District Cycling Club s young protégé, Harvey Leadbeater, smashed his way through the 30-minute barrier, for a 10 mile distance, with a superb 28:54. From the outset this young rider has shown the guts and determination needed to push himself to
ELY and District Cycling Club's young protégé, Harvey Leadbeater, smashed his way through the 30-minute barrier, for a 10 mile distance, with a superb 28:54.
From the outset this young rider has shown the guts and determination needed to push himself to the absolute limit. Leadbeater will undoubtedly continue his ascent through the leader-board in the 2007 season.
New rider Nick William of Ely turned out to ride the testing Witchford - Sutton course, facing a head wind on the way out, and making up for lost time on the way back with a fine first effort of 32:23, just outside Ely favourite Ray Legg, who timed 31:29.
Top three finishers fared well, with Alan Newark (CC Breckland) blazing a trail at 22:14, leaving Geoff Brewster and Steve Presland to fight for second place and they finished with just 10 seconds between them, on 23:28 and 23:38 respectively.
You may also want to watch:
'Carbon' Geoff Brewster recently competed in the World Duathlon Championships and came an outstanding eighth place in his age group, the first British finisher with a time of 2:04:17.
That special tandem team, of Colin and Celia Whitechurch, dazzled once again with a second fastest time of the evening, 22:58.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 4 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
The last Tuesday evening event is next week, and this is the 10 Mile Sutton-Ely course. Riders should meet at the Elean Industrial Estate 15 minutes before the official start at 6.45pm.
Check out the club website www.elycyclingclub.com or telephone Marc Cox on 01223 263862.