Haringey Borough 1-2 Soham Town Rangers: George is Soham’s Darling as late winner ends Greens’ five-match winless run
- Credit: Archant
Super substitute George Darling scored two minutes from time as Soham Town Rangers came from behind to beat Haringey Borough 2-1 and register their first win in five games.
The Greens entered the clash knowing they must win, with the hosts sitting one place higher than their visitors.
Despite the difficult conditions, Soham had the better of the first halves play, although clear opportunities were limited.
The Greens delivered a number of early balls into the area with Jordan Gent posing a threat; heading behind from a number of set pieces as Soham looked for the opening goal.
Borough’s best effort came just after half an hour when Griffiths laid off a left-sided ball with McDonald driving wide from the edge of the area.
You may also want to watch:
Ryan Sharman placed a low effort at Haringey goalkeeper Harris whilst Luke Chadwick came close to his first goal for the Greens when he put over early in the second half.
Haringey took the lead slightly against the run of play when Anthony McDonald received an angled ball towards the left of the area and fired low across George Lawton to give the visitors the advantage.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
As the game progressed, Gent had another header at Harris and Chadwick placed at the keeper before the Greens levelled in the 73rd minute.
George Darling, having been on the pitch for 10 minutes, made his way into the area from the right, only to be thwarted by Harris. The ball was quickly cleared out of the area, but only to Salim Relizani, who powered an unstoppable shot into the net for his first goal for the club.
Soham had multiple chances to take the lead, but it seemed that they were destined for yet another league game without a win as the clock ran down.
However, with only two minutes, left Soham took the lead when Sharman headed on a ball into the box to George Darling, who placed a low angled shot in at the near post.
Darling’s late winner takes Soham up a place to 18th in the Ryman Division One North, level on points with 17th-placed Romford, who are the Greens’ next opponents on Saturday (3pm).