Reece rifles four for Ely City in handsome East League weekend
- Credit: Amy Allott
Ely City’s first team kept up their unbeaten record with a 4-1 win in Division Three North West of the East Hockey League.
Reece Laffar scored all four goals in the win over St Ives 3rds on Saturday, and won the player of the match award.
Chris Reay netted twice for Ely men’s 2nds as they triumphed 2-0 over March Town 2nds in Division Four North West, but had to thank their goalkeeper for second half saves.
As for Ely 3rds, they toppled leaders Cambridge Nomads 4ths thanks to goals from Rich Goggin and captain Liam Goodson in Division Six North West.
Ely ladies’ 1sts responded to defeat with a 5-0 success over Spalding 3rds in Division Three North West.
Evie Flack scored a first half hat-trick before netting again after the break, while Rhianne Jones also netted.
In Women’s Division Four North West, Ely 2nds secured a 1-1 draw with Newmarket 2nds with both strikes coming in the second half.
- 1 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 2 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 3 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 4 Baby murder trial hears mother joked tot self-harmed
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Man subjected to 'unprovoked attack' at village pavilion
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 9 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 10 Poet, Jo, shares poem in memory of sister to mark World Cancer Day
Charlotte Beck was named player of the match.
Meanwhile, Ely 3rds lost 2-1 at Wisbech Town 3rds in Division Five North West.
This Saturday, in the men’s section, Ely 1sts face Bourne Deeping 2nds, the 2nds visit Cambridge City 6ths as the 3rds play St Ives 5ths.
For the women, the first team travel to Newmarket 1sts, the 2nds host Pelicans 2nds and Ely 3rds are without a fixture.