Hail Harry as club records smashed
A CLUB record which stood for nearly 20 years was smashed and four other records were established at Ely Swimming Club s Winter Championship. The event, at the Paradise Pool, saw eight-year-old Harry Love swim 25m freestyle in 18.33sec, beating Lee Abbs
A CLUB record which stood for nearly 20 years was smashed and four other records were established at Ely Swimming Club's Winter Championship.
The event, at the Paradise Pool, saw eight-year-old Harry Love swim 25m freestyle in 18.33sec, beating Lee Abbs' record for the age group, set in 1987, by a third of a second.
Harry then went on to set two more records, swimming 50m freestyle, in 39.5sec, and 50m breaststroke, in 1min 57sec, both of which had never been attempted by an eight-year-old from the club.
Keeping it in the family, Harry's older brother Ben, nine, broke the record for 100m breaststroke in his age group. His time of 1min 49.68sec is almost a second faster than the previous time set by current club member Samuel Dunkley in 2004.
You may also want to watch:
Another eight-year-old, Alan Gregory, set a record for 50m backstroke of 57.5sec. Alan is the youngest swimmer from the club to record a time in that event.
Chairman of Ely Swimming Club Paul Hill said: "We are delighted that our younger swimmers are enjoying so much success. We have worked closely with the Swim School teachers at the Paradise Pool, who have helped to identify swimmers with great potential, and this is already paying off.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
"We anticipate exciting times ahead as these swimmers develop and go on to represent Ely in major competitions."
Many of the older swimmers also achieved excellent results at the event, which saw no less than 128 personal records broken, and 10 Platinum, nine Gold, 18 Silver and 20 Bronze ASA Speed Awards achieved.
Eight swimmers - Katie Falconer, Claudia Mason, Alex Noble, Ben Love, Harry Love, Jack O'Connor, Louis Green and Shane Sanigar - set lifetime best times in all their events.
- Ely Swimming Club trains at the Paradise Pool on Mondays (7.30-9pm), Wednesdays (7-9pm), Thursdays (7-8pm) and Sundays (8-10am). New members of all ages are always welcome.