Hadleigh United 0-1 Ely City: Walter’s winner seals second consecutive Robins victory
- Credit: Archant
Ely City look to have finally adjusted to life back in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division after sealing their second consecutive win courtesy of a 1-0 success at Hadleigh United.
Ash Walter’s header just before the break separated the two sides in a tense game at The Millfield on Saturday as the Robins successfully followed on from Wednesday night’s 3-1 triumph at Fakenham Town.
Ely boss Brady Stone stuck with the same line-up that beat Fakenham for their trip to Suffolk, and that looked to have paid off as the Robins began strongly with new signing Mason Newman forcing the Hadleigh ‘keeper into a good save when one-on-one.
Harry Reynolds kept the scores level with a neat save after some defensive confusion, before Ely took the lead when Walters headed a Jamie Alsop corner emphatically home two minutes before half time.
Hadleigh pushed for an equaliser in the second period with Matty Simpson having to head a goal-bound effort off the line, before Craig Neal came close to doubling Ely’s lead after a neat exchange with Newman.
You may also want to watch:
A wind-assisted cross almost got the better of Reynolds in the Ely goal but the former Cambridge City stopper tipped the ball away as Stone’s men saw out a narrow victory.
Ely will hope to make it a hat-trick of league victories when they host Thetford Town on Saturday (3pm).
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 6 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 9 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 10 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash