Haddenham mark centenary year with exhibition match

HADDENHAM Bowls Club marked its centenary year with a special match against a Bowls Cambridgeshire President’s Team.

Sue Alexander, the county president, brought a team made up of several previous presidents of Bowls Cambridgeshire and other top bowlers from all over the county.

Although the weather was breezy at times the game was played in good spirits, the president’s team eventually running out winners on four rinks to Haddenham’s two.

The club, which has its home off Church Lane and hosts 45 playing members, plays in both the Ely and District League and the Cambridge and District League.

The club was established in July 1912 when 40 square yards of the Vicarage paddock was loaned to the club by the vicar. The first official meeting was held on July 11 in the church hall.

The first president was A E Wright and membership was five shillings per annum.

The club’s first game was a tournament against Bluntisham held April 18 1914 and according to the books for that year, there were 25 playing members.

Most Read

Mr Barker was the first captain to be followed in 1916 by Mr Robinson.Until 1925 an old tram car was used as the pavilion.