Haddenham and Ely Boxing Club stars strike gold at Denmark tournament
YOUNG stars from Haddenham and Ely Boxing Club flew the flag for England at a tournament in Denmark - returning with six medals.
The boxing talents stepped into the ring with some of Europe’s finest competitors at the Haslev tournament at the weekend.
But the Haddenham and Ely hopefuls were not intimidated and they returned with four gold medals and two silver.
Coach Mike Sawyer said: “They all boxed very well and we got the best results out of all the English teams out there.
“There must have been 300 teams there from places like Italy, Germany and Switzerland, so the boys did really well.”
Ryan Woodard, Jesse Brown, Jack Halls and Riley Smith struck gold while Jack Fraser and Liam Goodjohn brought home silver.
Sawyer highlighted Halls’ performance as particular impressive, claiming he had all the talent to “get to the top”.
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 6 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 8 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 9 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 10 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
He said: “We call him the choirboy because he’s such a pleasant, quiet lad. He wouldn’t say boo to a goose but he’s incredible in the ring.
“I think he’s one of the best lads I’ve ever coached.”
The boxers will return to action on Saturday at the club’s dinner show, which takes place at Ely College, in Downham Road. The bouts start at 7.45pm.