Haddenham and Ely Boxing Club stars strike gold at Denmark tournament
YOUNG stars from Haddenham and Ely Boxing Club flew the flag for England at a tournament in Denmark - returning with six medals.
The boxing talents stepped into the ring with some of Europe’s finest competitors at the Haslev tournament at the weekend.
But the Haddenham and Ely hopefuls were not intimidated and they returned with four gold medals and two silver.
Coach Mike Sawyer said: “They all boxed very well and we got the best results out of all the English teams out there.
“There must have been 300 teams there from places like Italy, Germany and Switzerland, so the boys did really well.”
You may also want to watch:
Ryan Woodard, Jesse Brown, Jack Halls and Riley Smith struck gold while Jack Fraser and Liam Goodjohn brought home silver.
Sawyer highlighted Halls’ performance as particular impressive, claiming he had all the talent to “get to the top”.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
He said: “We call him the choirboy because he’s such a pleasant, quiet lad. He wouldn’t say boo to a goose but he’s incredible in the ring.
“I think he’s one of the best lads I’ve ever coached.”
The boxers will return to action on Saturday at the club’s dinner show, which takes place at Ely College, in Downham Road. The bouts start at 7.45pm.