Gritty Youngsters Claim Cup Victory
DETERMINED play from a wearying Ely Tigers side saw them claim cup victory at the Cambridge Rugby Festival held recently. Though beset with fatigue from a long day s rugby, the determined under 10 side rallied to claim victory in the tournament s plate c
DETERMINED play from a wearying Ely Tigers side saw them claim cup victory at the Cambridge Rugby Festival held recently.
Though beset with fatigue from a long day's rugby, the determined under 10 side rallied to claim victory in the tournament's plate competition, easing out Letchworth in a gripping final.
In a disappointing first-half of the day, Ely slipped to two defeats in the league competition, losing narrowly to both Newmarket and Cambridge before switching focus to the plate.
Their first game in the competition pitted them against Hitchin, who proved a stern test for the young Tigers but were ultimately outdone by Ely's relentless defensive work and some direct running. The game ended 2-0 to Ely with scores for Oscar and Daniel
You may also want to watch:
The plate final saw Ely up against Letchworth, in a re-match from their earlier meeting in the league competition. Both teams played some flowing rugby but it was Ely who ultimately had the edge as they ran out 2-1 winners. Tries came from Sam and Harvey.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 9 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station