Greygoose wins it for Robins
Mildenhall 1 Ely City 1 (Ely win 5-4 on penalties)
PENALTY heroics from stand-in keeper Jamie Greygoose saw Ely City move through to the semi-finals of the Cambs Invitation Cup on Tuesday night.
The 18-year-old was called in to action to replace first choice keeper Lee Pacey for the night and made a memorable debut, producing two fine stops to see Ely through a nervy shoot-out.
The win sees the Robins through to take on Royston Town at the Unwin Ground later this month for a spot in the final, where they could face off with local rivals Soham Town Rangers, who face Wisbech Town on February 21.
Boss Alan Alsop said: “In the scoreline you could say it was close but apart from that I’d say we dominated it and were good value for the win.
You may also want to watch:
“They had a few good spells in the first half but never really hurt us and in the second half we were completely on top.”
Mildenhall opened the scoring in the first half through Wayne Proctor, the front man cutting out Dave Smith’s header back to Greygoose to tap home from close range.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
Ely fought hard after the break to get back on terms but were continually frustrated by the home side, who cleared the ball off the line on several occasions.
Goalkeeper Josh Pope was also having a good game for the hosts and produced some excellent saves to keep Mildenhall in front.
The breakthrough finally came in the 78th minute as Ben Lawrence clattered home from close range after a corner fell loose in the box.
Nick Impey scored the winning spot-kick after Greygoose made two crucial saves.
The Robins are back in league action from 3pm on Saturday as they host league leaders Wroxham in a crucial match at the Unwin Ground.