Greens up to fifth with Romford win
- Credit: Archant
Football Soham Town Rangers 2 Romford 1
Soham came from behind to record a narrow victory over Romford, on Tuesday night.
Reece Cosson put the Essex side ahead in the 18th minute before Daniel Brown levelled for Soham from a corner in the 36th minute, his fifth goal for the club.
The winning goal came 10 minutes into the second half as defender Jordan Gent capitalised from more errant defending from Romford at a corner to tap home.
Ryan Sharman missed a penalty for Soham late on.
You may also want to watch:
The win moves Steve Fallon’s side up into fifth place in the Ryman League Division One North, eight points behind leaders Harlow Town, albeit having played two games more.
Soham came into the game on the back of a 1-1 draw at Cray Wanderers, on Saturday.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
It was the hosts who started the game better and goalkeeper Joe Templeman had to be alert to prevent Cray taking the lead in the opening stages of the match.
Somewhat against the run of play, Soham opened the scoring on the half-hour mark as captain Luke Stanley saw his low shot pushed away from goal and into the path of Daniel Brown.
The front man took the ball to the byline and squared for the on-rushing David Prada to tap home from close range.
Templeman was again pressed into action early in the second half as the hosts went in search of an equaliser, the goalkeeper making a superb save to keep out Michael Phillips’ header.
Despite a game effort, Soham’s defence could not hold out and the hosts drew level in the 68th minute as Tyrus Gordan-Young headed home from a corner.
Soham return to action on Saturday when they welcome Spalding United to Julius Martin Lane in the preliminary round of the FA Trophy. Kick off is 3pm.