Greens Slip To Sixth Straight League Defeat
SOHAM Town Ranger s recent slump in form continued at the weekend as they suffered their sixth straight league defeat at the hands of Atherstone Town. Ian Benjamin s side are firmly in the grip of a damaging run of league defeats and showed no signs that
SOHAM Town Ranger's recent slump in form continued at the weekend as they suffered their sixth straight league defeat at the hands of Atherstone Town.
Ian Benjamin's side are firmly in the grip of a damaging run of league defeats and showed no signs that the run would be ending any time soon as they capitulated once more under pressure.
The loss sees the Greens slip into the bottom three for the first time this season with just four points and a single win to their name.
In stark contrast to many of their recent performances, Soham started the game brightly and soon had the visitors under pressure as Charles Libam and Deaken Napier linked well.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Furnell had the first real opportunity of the match after 10 minutes after latching onto a well-placed Scott Carter knockdown, but the frontman's curled effort sailed narrowly wide.
Napier went closer still to opening the scoring midway through the half as he pounced on a half-cleared corner only to see his poked effort denied by a fine save by the Adder's custodian.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
To make matters worse for the Greens, Atherstone broke the deadlock in injury time as Luke Edwards fired home.
Soham started brightly after the half-time break, but were unable to stop the visitors from doubling their advantage minutes shy of the hour mark as Luke Keen got the better of debutant keeper Luke Howard.
The hammer blow to any hopes of a Soham recovery was dealt in the 73rd minute as Atherstone's Grant Roscorla deflected an errant shot goalwards to make it 3-0.
Despite the insurmountable deficit, Soham continued to push forward in the dying minutes and were rewarded with a goal as substitute Simon Flanz received a well placed ball from Luke Hipwell to drill home.