NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Soham Town Rangers another point closer to safety
- Credit: Archant
Soham Town Rangers edged closer to Bostik League North Division safety last Saturday.
The Greens battled to a 1-1 draw in a wind-ravaged clash at Great Wakering Rovers.
They fell behind after just seven minutes, but levelled through Lewis Endacott with 18 minutes to go in freak fashion as his cross deceived the home goalkeeper.
Rangers then had Alfie Connor sent off in the dying moments for a late challenge, but held on for a point.
“It wouldn’t have been much of a watch for a spectator, but the main thing is we picked up another point,” said Soham assistant boss Erkan Okay.
You may also want to watch:
“The teams with the wind didn’t really gain anything from it as the ball just kept running out of play.
“Both sides scored when they were against the wind, but the conditions completely ruined the game.”
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
Soham dropped one place in the standings to 17th, but they remain nine points above the drop-zone.
They host another team in the bottom half of the table – Canvey Island – at Julius Martin Lane this Saturday, 3pm.
“Canvey Island are a massive club at this level,” added Okay. “But they’re not having a great season by their own expectations and they’re not in great form, so it’s a chance for us to pick up another positive result.
“That’s what we have to do – just keeping getting results rather than worrying too much about what others are doing.”
Soham handed a debut to teenage defender Adam Crowther at Great Wakering after he arrived on a dual-registration deal from Royston Town, but he’s not available this Saturday. Connor and Will Gardner are banned while Jon Kaye is unavailable.