Greens Score 3-0 Win Over Histon Reserves
SOHAM Town Rangers booked their place in the semi-final of the Cambs Invitation Cup on Monday night following a 3-0 victory over Histon Reserves. Though the game was largely even throughout, three goals in a frantic final quarter saw Ian Benjamin s men mo
SOHAM Town Rangers booked their place in the semi-final of the Cambs Invitation Cup on Monday night following a 3-0 victory over Histon Reserves.
Though the game was largely even throughout, three goals in a frantic final quarter saw Ian Benjamin's men move into a comfortable lead as Histon slipped away.
A delighted Benjamin said: "To be fair I though it was quite even throughout the match in terms of chances but it was nice to see that the lads kept focused until the end and they put away their chances.
"It was also nice to pick up a clean sheet especially as Histon had some of their fring first-team players out who gave our boys a good test."
Deakan Napier opened the scoring on 77 minutes after following up on a well-saved shot from Scott Carter. The goal forced Histon to throw caution to the wind and, as a result, the Greens struck twice more in the ensuing minutes as Charles Libam and Will Seymore netted.
Benjamin's men will now move into the semi-finals of the competition, scheduled to commence from February 23.
- 1 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 2 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 3 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 4 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 5 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 6 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
- 7 Yarn-bombing returns to city ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Detached home in tranquil riverside setting on sale for £750,000
- 9 Visit Ely announces series of fun-packed events ahead of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 10 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
The boss' plans to strengthen his squad meanwhile, hit a stumbling block this week as he revealed that he had missed out on three central defenders the club made approaches for.
Benjamin insisted that he would continue to try and bolster his squad however, with a defender and a left-sided wide-player among his priorities.