Greens return to winning ways with six-goal drubbing
- Credit: Archant
Football Soham Town Rangers 6 Burnham Ramblers 2
Steve Fallon’s Soham brought their winless run to a dramatic end by thrashing Burnham.
The Greens had been seven games without a win going in to Saturday’s match but a brace from Ryan Sharman, and goals for David Prada, Luke Stanley and Daniel Brown, as well as an own goal, made for a memorable afternoon for Soham fans.
The victory keeps Soham in 11th place in the Ryman Division One North and moves them back within seven points of the all-important play-off places.
It was Burnham captain Marc Gorbell who opened Soham’s account on Saturday as he deflected Stanley’s cross into his own net with only eight minutes on the clock.
With their noses in front, Soham ramped up the pressure and Brown was unlucky to see his low shot come back off the post.
But there was no such bad luck for captain Stanley as he doubled Soham’s lead with a neat volley after 16 minutes.
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 5 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 8 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 9 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 10 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
Prada made it three in a whirlwind opening 20 minutes for the hosts as he picked up a rebound to fire home from close range.
And Soham moved out of sight just shy of the half-hour mark when Jordan Gent fed Sharman inside the area, the midfielder working a yard of space to fire a shot into the net. Sharman was on target again just three minutes later when he headed home Joey Abbs’s corner.
There was a brief moment of respite for the visitors when Bradley Nobbs saw his chipped effort come back off the crossbar, with Enol Ordonez beaten, but it wasn’t to last and Soham soon made it 6-0.
With 10 minutes of the first half remaining, Stanley saw a low shot superbly saved by Matt Belcher, only for the rebound to fall into the path of Brown, who made no mistake from close range.
Soham continued to threaten after the break but were twice caught out by a much-improved Burnham side, who added some respectability to the score line by pulling two goals back – Stephen Ikumelo and Stuart Judd netting.
The Greens are back in action again on Saturday, when they welcome Chatham Town to Julius Martin Lane. Kick off is 3pm.