Greens return to winning ways with six-goal drubbing
- Credit: Archant
Football Soham Town Rangers 6 Burnham Ramblers 2
Steve Fallon’s Soham brought their winless run to a dramatic end by thrashing Burnham.
The Greens had been seven games without a win going in to Saturday’s match but a brace from Ryan Sharman, and goals for David Prada, Luke Stanley and Daniel Brown, as well as an own goal, made for a memorable afternoon for Soham fans.
The victory keeps Soham in 11th place in the Ryman Division One North and moves them back within seven points of the all-important play-off places.
It was Burnham captain Marc Gorbell who opened Soham’s account on Saturday as he deflected Stanley’s cross into his own net with only eight minutes on the clock.
You may also want to watch:
With their noses in front, Soham ramped up the pressure and Brown was unlucky to see his low shot come back off the post.
But there was no such bad luck for captain Stanley as he doubled Soham’s lead with a neat volley after 16 minutes.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
Prada made it three in a whirlwind opening 20 minutes for the hosts as he picked up a rebound to fire home from close range.
And Soham moved out of sight just shy of the half-hour mark when Jordan Gent fed Sharman inside the area, the midfielder working a yard of space to fire a shot into the net. Sharman was on target again just three minutes later when he headed home Joey Abbs’s corner.
There was a brief moment of respite for the visitors when Bradley Nobbs saw his chipped effort come back off the crossbar, with Enol Ordonez beaten, but it wasn’t to last and Soham soon made it 6-0.
With 10 minutes of the first half remaining, Stanley saw a low shot superbly saved by Matt Belcher, only for the rebound to fall into the path of Brown, who made no mistake from close range.
Soham continued to threaten after the break but were twice caught out by a much-improved Burnham side, who added some respectability to the score line by pulling two goals back – Stephen Ikumelo and Stuart Judd netting.
The Greens are back in action again on Saturday, when they welcome Chatham Town to Julius Martin Lane. Kick off is 3pm.