Greens on track for survival with last gasp point
Soham Town Rangers 3 Great Wakering Rovers 3
A DAN Cotton penalty just two minutes from time earned Soham a crucial point in their battle to stay up this season.
With the home side looking likely to take all three points and deepen Soham’s relegation woes, a spot-kick was awarded following a handball in the box which Cotton duly dispatched.
The result, which consigned Great Wakering to relegation, keeps Steve Fallon’s men four point clear of the drop zone, with one more win needed this season to confirm their status in the Ryman League for next season.
In a quiet opening 20 minutes, neither side was able to gain the upper hand, with speculative shots from Soham’s Neil Andrews and Cotton keeping visitors’ keeper Godwin-Green honest.
You may also want to watch:
The game exploded into life in the 21st minute however, as Michael Simpson finished from close range following Cotton’s low cross.
Wakering were level little more than a minute later though, as Jay Nash reacted quickest to turn in a shot parried by Soham custodian Dan Bircham.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
Matters quickly worsened for Soham as the visitors Billy Johnson curled an excellent shot past Bircham to hand the visitors the lead.
Wakering’s defence has shipped 90 goals this season and it became apparent why just two minutes after the half-time break as Simpson again slipped his marker to finish a Cotton cross, with a carbon copy effort cleared off the line by Wakering just minutes later.
Wakering continued to pile forward however and player/manager Dan Trenkel put his side back in front with a low shot from range.
It was all in vain however, as Soham were awarded a penalty with just minutes remaining to snatch a point.