Greens on track for survival with last gasp point
Soham Town Rangers 3 Great Wakering Rovers 3
A DAN Cotton penalty just two minutes from time earned Soham a crucial point in their battle to stay up this season.
With the home side looking likely to take all three points and deepen Soham’s relegation woes, a spot-kick was awarded following a handball in the box which Cotton duly dispatched.
The result, which consigned Great Wakering to relegation, keeps Steve Fallon’s men four point clear of the drop zone, with one more win needed this season to confirm their status in the Ryman League for next season.
In a quiet opening 20 minutes, neither side was able to gain the upper hand, with speculative shots from Soham’s Neil Andrews and Cotton keeping visitors’ keeper Godwin-Green honest.
You may also want to watch:
The game exploded into life in the 21st minute however, as Michael Simpson finished from close range following Cotton’s low cross.
Wakering were level little more than a minute later though, as Jay Nash reacted quickest to turn in a shot parried by Soham custodian Dan Bircham.
- 1 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 2 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 3 Car hits A14 barrier near Newmarket
- 4 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 5 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 6 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium
- 7 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 8 Viewers react to 'brilliant' 24 Hours in Police Custody: Black Widow
- 9 Dad of two killed on Fen road
- 10 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
Matters quickly worsened for Soham as the visitors Billy Johnson curled an excellent shot past Bircham to hand the visitors the lead.
Wakering’s defence has shipped 90 goals this season and it became apparent why just two minutes after the half-time break as Simpson again slipped his marker to finish a Cotton cross, with a carbon copy effort cleared off the line by Wakering just minutes later.
Wakering continued to pile forward however and player/manager Dan Trenkel put his side back in front with a low shot from range.
It was all in vain however, as Soham were awarded a penalty with just minutes remaining to snatch a point.