Greens notch up first win of the new season at Sudbury
- Credit: Archant
Ryman League Division One North AFC Sudbury 1 Soham Town Rangers 2
STEVE Fallon’s Soham made a solid start to their new Ryman League campaign with four points from two matches.
The Greens narrowly missed out on a play-off spot last season but showed signs that they are in no mood to come up short again this term as they drew with Harlow and defeated Sudbury.
On Tuesday night in Suffolk, Soham took the lead after 41 minutes when a break down the right saw James Hall cross into the box and Luke Stanley apply the finish for his second goal in as many games.
Sudbury were gifted the chance to go in level at the break but Matt Daniels’ penalty kick was well saved by Dan Bircham to deny the hosts.
You may also want to watch:
Michael Shinn struck a post for Sudbury early in the second half as they ramped up the pressure and their dominance finally told as, shortly before the hour mark, Jamie Forshaw smashed home from close range after an excellent move.
Soham were not to be outdone, however, and, less than 10 minutes later, were back in front as wide man Ben Sawyer streaked away from the Sudbury defence to score.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 7 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
The result follows an opening day 1-1 draw with Harlow Town at Julius Martin Lane.
After a largely even opening 45 minutes, with chances for both sides, Soham managed to get their noses’ in front with less than a minute to play in the half; debutant Hall found room down the left and delivered a ball into area for Luke Stanley to score from six yards out.
Four minutes after the restart, Soham could have put themselves further ahead following a quick break, but Sawyer was denied by the Harlow keeper when through one-on-one.
The visitors levelled the score with 15 minutes of the second half played, Alex Read adding the finishing touch to a free-kick lofted deep into the far post.
The Greens will be back in action again on Saturday as they travel to Redbridge in a Ryman League tussle.