Greens Left Wanting At Burnham
SOHAM Town Rangers failed to turn opportunities into goals on Saturday as they lost out 3-0 to high-flyers Burnham. The Greens enjoyed some decent passages of play in a far-from-disastrous performance but repeated profligacy in front of goal saw them draw
SOHAM Town Rangers failed to turn opportunities into goals on Saturday as they lost out 3-0 to high-flyers Burnham.
The Greens enjoyed some decent passages of play in a far-from-disastrous performance but repeated profligacy in front of goal saw them draw a blank as Burnham capitalised.
The loss, Soham's third in four games, leaves them marooned in 18th place ahead of their match against Barton Rovers at the weekend.
The first-half was a largely even affair as both sides created decent opportunities. Ian Pledger in the Soham goal was alert to deny Ryan Bird on a couple of occasions while Deakan Napier saw a shot sail narrowly over.
You may also want to watch:
Soham debutant Josh Turner impressed with a series of jinking runs down the left, before the hosts opened the scoring through Dennis Fenemore in the 37th minute.
Reeling from the setback, Soham looked vulnerable and conceded for a second time six minutes later as Bird smashed home from 10 yards.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools
The home side exerted their superiority from the outset of the second-half, but the Greens continued to battle manfully against their lofty opponents.
Michael Simpson had a good shot beaten away early on while both Charles Libam and Scott Johnson had their efforts denied by the woodwork.
Burnham continued to threaten throughout the half and might have added to their total but for some dogged work by Pledger. The home side eventually sealed their win in the 89th minute through Jordan Dowdican.