Greens hold out for point after Liberatore sees red
Soham Town Rangers 1 Cheshunt 1
DEFENDER Tom Liberatore saw red as Soham held out for a draw against Cheshunt at Julius Martin Lane on Saturday.
The big centre-back received his marching orders less than 10 minutes into the second half following a second bookable offence, leaving his team-mates to battle gallantly for more than half-an-hour to secure a point against their Ryman League rivals.
The draw sees Soham remain in 14th place in the Ryman Division One North ahead of their trip to Grays Athletic at the weekend.
A lively opening 10 minutes from the home side saw chances for both Michael Simpson and Dubi Ogbonna before Cheshunt’s Michael Thomson rattled the bar with a strike from distance.
You may also want to watch:
Soham took the lead after 26 minutes as Simpson squared for striker Matt Robinson to slot home from close range to bag his second in as many games.
Soham’s lead lasted only 10 minutes though, as the visitors were awarded a penalty after Liberatore was adjudged to have fouled Josh Hutchinson in the area, a foul that earned him a yellow card. Hutchinson dusted himself down to slot home the resulting penalty.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 7 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 8 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
Matters worsened for the Greens early in the second half as Liberatore was sent off for a foul and the visitors quickly began to enjoy the lion’s share of the play.
An excellent performance from Andy Furnell’s men at the back ensured however, that no points were dropped as Cheshunt were held at bay.