Greens held by battling Chatham
- Credit: Archant
Football Chatham Town 0 Soham Town Rangers 0
SOHAM drew a blank in a league fixture for the first time since November as they were held to a draw at Chatham on Saturday.
The last time the Greens failed to score was in a 1-0 defeat to Witham Town at Julius Martin Lane but their normally goal-hungry strikers failed to find the net at the weekend despite having the better of the chances.
The point keeps Soham in sixth place in the Ryman League Division One North ahead of their trip to Potters Bar Town on Saturday.
Robbie Mason and Louis Baucutt both saw headed efforts slip narrowly wide in opening exchanges of the match and James McCabe also kept the hosts goalkeeper busy with a shot from range.
You may also want to watch:
After an industrious start from Soham however, the game petered out and both sides were restricted to half-chances, Chatham’s Corey Holder nodded wide from a corner and McCabe saw a deflected shot pushed round the post.
After the break, Soham began to impose themselves on the game and winger Buster Harradine saw two good opportunities slip wide as the Greens found gaps in the host’s defence.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
Chatham’s Gary Tilley saw his dipping shot palmed over the bar by Dan Bircham before Harradine went closest for Soham, seeing a angled shot cannon off the bar and the follow up cleared off the line.
As the clock ticked down, Baucutt had an excellent chance to snatch a late winner as he rose highest to connect with Harrdine’s free-kick but he could only steer his header wide with the goal at his mercy.