Greens held by battling Chatham
- Credit: Archant
Football Chatham Town 0 Soham Town Rangers 0
SOHAM drew a blank in a league fixture for the first time since November as they were held to a draw at Chatham on Saturday.
The last time the Greens failed to score was in a 1-0 defeat to Witham Town at Julius Martin Lane but their normally goal-hungry strikers failed to find the net at the weekend despite having the better of the chances.
The point keeps Soham in sixth place in the Ryman League Division One North ahead of their trip to Potters Bar Town on Saturday.
Robbie Mason and Louis Baucutt both saw headed efforts slip narrowly wide in opening exchanges of the match and James McCabe also kept the hosts goalkeeper busy with a shot from range.
After an industrious start from Soham however, the game petered out and both sides were restricted to half-chances, Chatham’s Corey Holder nodded wide from a corner and McCabe saw a deflected shot pushed round the post.
After the break, Soham began to impose themselves on the game and winger Buster Harradine saw two good opportunities slip wide as the Greens found gaps in the host’s defence.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
Chatham’s Gary Tilley saw his dipping shot palmed over the bar by Dan Bircham before Harradine went closest for Soham, seeing a angled shot cannon off the bar and the follow up cleared off the line.
As the clock ticked down, Baucutt had an excellent chance to snatch a late winner as he rose highest to connect with Harrdine’s free-kick but he could only steer his header wide with the goal at his mercy.