Greens get back on track with Redbridge win
- Credit: Archant
Football Soham Town Rangers 3 Redbridge 0
A BRACE from Luke Stanley saw Soham get back to winning ways against lowly Redbridge on Tuesday night.
The Greens striker was in good form and hit two goals before half-time, with strike partner Robbie Mason adding a third in the second half to take his tally for the season to 25.
The win came just three days after Steve Fallon’s charges suffered a surprise 4-0 defeat at the hands of Heybridge Swifts at Julius Martin Lane, denting their hopes of a play-off place.
The match against Heybridge, who Soham thumped 8-2 back in December, started well for the Greens, with some decent early pressure causing panic in the visitors’ box.
You may also want to watch:
The Greens were caught cold in the eighth minute however, when Ben Newson profited from a collision between Martin Bromwich and Dan Bircham to roll into an unguarded net.
Matters quickly worsened for Fallon’s side as Bromwich’s clearance was cut out by Luke Callander, the midfielder romping into the box and firing low past an exposed Bircham.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
The Greens were handed a lifeline in the 28th minute when the referee whistled for a penalty after a foul on Jordan Gent as he battled for the ball in the air. Unfortunately for Soham however, Buster Harradine’s spot-kick was turned around the post for a corner.
After the break, Heybridge delivered two more hammer blows, Callandar waltzing all too easily past three defenders after collecting a short corner and hammering hard past Bircham from close range.
The midfielder completed his hat-trick in the 53rd minute, curling into the top corner from almost 25 yards.
Soham slip to seventh place in the Ryman Division One North after the week’s endeavours, some 10 points off of fifth place and a spot in the play-offs.