Greens Fend Off Late Fightback To Take Win
Soham Town Rangers 2 Leighton Town 1 SOHAM survived a late fight back to take all three points in their penultimate game of the season on Tuesday. Goals from Simon Flanz and Luke Hipwell saw Soham into a comfortable 2-0 lead after an hour but a late rally
Soham Town Rangers 2
Leighton Town 1
SOHAM survived a late fight back to take all three points in their penultimate game of the season on Tuesday.
Goals from Simon Flanz and Luke Hipwell saw Soham into a comfortable 2-0 lead after an hour but a late rally from Leighton had them scrambling until the end as the visitors pushed for a leveller.
You may also want to watch:
The win, Soham's 16th of a decent season, moves them up into 11th place with their last game of the season at home to Stourport Swifts on Saturday.
Defender Simon Flanz put Soham ahead just after the half-hour mark with a fine finish, in a half that Soham comfortably controlled.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
Early in the second half, Soham again took control and doubled their lead on the hour mark as Luke Hipwell hit his third goal of the season.
To their credit, the visitors responded well to the setback and found a way back into the game just four minutes later as striker James Hatch struck.
The goal served to spur Leighton on and a number of chances soon followed as they threatened to snatch a leveller.
A tiring Soham side managed to hold out however, to secure a decent win against an impressive Leighton side.