Greens End On A High With Swift Win
SOHAM Town Rangers ended their season on a high with a solid 1-0 win over lowly Stourport Swifts. The Greens have been in resurgent form since January and ensured that they finished with a place in the top-half of the Zameretto League thanks to a header f
SOHAM Town Rangers ended their season on a high with a solid 1-0 win over lowly Stourport Swifts.
The Greens have been in resurgent form since January and ensured that they finished with a place in the top-half of the Zameretto League thanks to a header from defender Thomas Liberatore.
The win saw Ian Benjamin's men finish up into 10th place with a record 58-point haul.
The Greens had a number of good chances early on and could arguably have been two goals up by the half-hour mark as both Dubi Ogbonna and Michael Simpson, celebrating his 400th appearance, had good efforts well saved.
You may also want to watch:
The opener finally came for the Greens on 31 minutes as defender Liberatore nodded home from a few yards out after Josh Turner had delivered a testing ball from wide.
Swifts rallied before the end of the half and veteran goalkeeper Ian Pledger, had to be alert to keep the Greens lead in-tact as the visitors sought to restore parity.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
Striker Ogbonna had a goal ruled out for offside with less than 10 minutes gone of the second half and both keepers were pressed in to action as the chances started to mount up.
Despite several decent opportunities however, a combination of poor finishing and solid goalkeeping ensured that Soham retained their lead and secured the three points.