Greens End On A High With Swift Win
SOHAM Town Rangers ended their season on a high with a solid 1-0 win over lowly Stourport Swifts. The Greens have been in resurgent form since January and ensured that they finished with a place in the top-half of the Zameretto League thanks to a header f
SOHAM Town Rangers ended their season on a high with a solid 1-0 win over lowly Stourport Swifts.
The Greens have been in resurgent form since January and ensured that they finished with a place in the top-half of the Zameretto League thanks to a header from defender Thomas Liberatore.
The win saw Ian Benjamin's men finish up into 10th place with a record 58-point haul.
The Greens had a number of good chances early on and could arguably have been two goals up by the half-hour mark as both Dubi Ogbonna and Michael Simpson, celebrating his 400th appearance, had good efforts well saved.
The opener finally came for the Greens on 31 minutes as defender Liberatore nodded home from a few yards out after Josh Turner had delivered a testing ball from wide.
Swifts rallied before the end of the half and veteran goalkeeper Ian Pledger, had to be alert to keep the Greens lead in-tact as the visitors sought to restore parity.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 5 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 6 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 7 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 8 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 9 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 10 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
Striker Ogbonna had a goal ruled out for offside with less than 10 minutes gone of the second half and both keepers were pressed in to action as the chances started to mount up.
Despite several decent opportunities however, a combination of poor finishing and solid goalkeeping ensured that Soham retained their lead and secured the three points.