Greens dumped out of Invitation Cup by lower-league Press
Football Soham Town Rangers 1 Cambridge University Press 2
SOHAM Town Rangers crashed out of the Cambs Invitation Cup at the hands of Thurlow Nunn Division One minnows Cambridge University Press on Tuesday night.
An impressive double from Press’ defender Scott Paterson put the visitors into a 2-0 lead going in at half-time before Jake Fuller pulled a goal back for the Greens early in the second half.
Steve Fallon’s men, who were last year’s runners-up, were handed a golden opportunity to get back on terms in the last 20 minutes when awarded a penalty but striker Matt Robinson clattered a post and the ball was cleared to safety.
The Greens laid siege to the Press goal in the final 10 minutes of the match but the visitors held on to book their place in the next round.
You may also want to watch:
Soham’s disappointment came just days after a Buster Harradine brace gave them a 2-1 victory over Harlow Town in the Ryman Division One North.
Despite a shaky start, two goals in as many minutes from the impressive midfielder, his 11th and 12th of the season, put the hosts in front.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
Harradine’s first came from a set piece as he fired a free-kick round the wall and neatly into the bottom corner of the net.
Moments later the midfield ace added his second, rising highest to nod Scott Davis ball from wide past the Harlow goalkeeper.
Soham didn’t have it all their own way however and found themselves pegged back in the moments before half-time when Joe O’Donoghue was afforded time and space enough from wide to curl an excellent shot past Dan Bircham.
Both sides had good chances to add to the scoring after the break but the excellent form of Bircham and Bertrand Bossu in the Harlow goal meant the Greens held on for victory.
The win moves Fallon’s men up into sixth place in the Ryman Division One North ahead of their trip to mid-table Cheshunt on Saturday.