Greens come from behind to grab semi-final spot
Soham Town Rangers 3 Lakenheath 2
A LAST gasp penalty from Dan Cotton earned Soham a spot in the semi-final of the Cambs Invitation Cup on Tuesday night.
Andy Furnell’s men were forced to recover from 2-1 behind to steal the win and narrowly avoid an upset against their plucky Kershaw League opponents.
The Greens will now go forward to the next round of the competition, to be played on February 22.
Midfielder Denny Escorcio ensured the home side made the perfect start to the match as he scored with just five minutes on the clock to hand Soham the lead.
You may also want to watch:
Lakenheath were quick to respond though, and had restored parity just a few minutes later as Gavin Peacock slotted home.
A frantic opening quarter saw chances-a-plenty for both sides but it was the visitors who were next to score, former Littleport Town striker Luke Butcher finishing from close range to put Lakenheath 2-1 up going in at the break.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
The visitors were unlucky not to move further ahead in the minutes after half-time as a shot clattered the foot of the post. Soham nerves were settled shortly after the hour mark however, as Matt Robinson finished to make it 2-2.
The play ebbed and flowed in the final quarter of the match, but a foul on Dubi Ogbonna in the final minute of play proved decisive as Soham were awarded a crucial penalty.
Cotton made no mistake from the spot and earned his side victory in a pulsating match