Great team effort from under-strength Tigers.
Ely Tigers II 7 Shelford IV 34 ELY S second XV welcomed Shelford, their conquerors of last week s league game for a friendly fixture this week. The Ely team was much changed with a very young inexperienced backline who had to play with one man down as El
Ely Tigers II 7 Shelford IV 34
ELY'S second XV welcomed Shelford, their conquerors of last week's league game for a friendly fixture this week. The Ely team was much changed with a very young inexperienced backline who had to play with one man down as Ely started with only 14 players. Sean Humble took over the captaincy.
The Tigers dominated the first 20 minutes, rather like last week, and a series of forward drives produced a try, scored by Will Watts and converted by Matt Daybell.
Shelford fought back with two tries, each coming from a quick breakaway.
After 20 minutes, Ely were restored to 15 players before Jimmy Gilborne had to leave with a suspected broken nose and then soon after, Ely also lost LLoyd Palmer, who bravely came back on after recovering for 20 minutes. Despite these odds Ely were only down 12-7 at half-time.
The second-half followed a similar pattern and Shelford penetrated the 14-man Ely defence and took a commanding 17-7 lead.
- 1 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 4 Missing woman back home
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 7 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 8 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 9 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
An exhausted Ely side conceded 17 points in the final 10 minutes and they could not deal with the overlap.
Skipper Humble was full of praise for his debilitated side.
He said: "The young backline played very well and everyone hung in, even when down to 13 players. It was an all round team team effort within which Will Watts had an excellant and very effective game.