CHRIS Grayland won three titles at Ely Tennis Club s finals day on Sunday. The 17-year-old overcame Jason Morley 6-4, 7-5, to take the men s singles title early in the morning, and then partnered Peter Stephens in the men s doubles to beat Richard Playfor
CHRIS Grayland won three titles at Ely Tennis Club's finals day on Sunday.
The 17-year-old overcame Jason Morley 6-4, 7-5, to take the men's singles title early in the morning, and then partnered Peter Stephens in the men's doubles to beat Richard Playford and Geoff Powell 6-3, 6-4.
Grayland then completed his hat-trick, this time beating Stephens, with the help of partner Karen Goodman in the mixed doubles final. The match finished 6-3, 6-3, with Jane Chalk also on the losing team.
In the ladies' singles Karen Goodman won back the title from Honour Porter in a 6-1, 7-5 victory. Porter didn't go away empty handed though, and ended up winning the ladies' doubles with Mary Finney with a convincing 6-4, 6-1 victory over Sue Didlick and Viv Teckoe.
You may also want to watch:
All matches were umpired by Suzanne and Ian Lindsay and club members called the lines.
Ms Lindsay, who is social secretary for Ely Tennis Club, said: "A big thank you goes to all members for taking part in the competition, which culminated in a really enjoyable finals day. A special thanks also goes to Sue Didlick for organising the club championship.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'