Gray in form as Soham battle for draw
IN a mid-table game in Division 1, Martin Gray shored up a depleted Soham Comrades 2 team to force a draw with Elsworth 1.
Elsworth had no answer to Gray, who also took the doubles with Colin Gannon but Roger Fensom and Pat Amps scored two and Joe Thorogood one.
Soham put eight useful points on the board in their match against relegation-threatened Fulbourn 2. Tony Everitt and Clive Woollard scored maximums then combined to take the doubles. Jon Audus scored against Hamish Ryder but lost out to Harris Ryder and Max Schweining, the Fulbourn youngsters.
Gazeley defeated Soham Comrades 2 6-4 with two wins for Bela Szabo and Kin Choi Chan, one for Rob Wallis plus the doubles from Szabo and Wallis. Adam Speed notched up three wins for Comrades with only Colin Gannon’s victory over Wallis supporting.
Fulbourn 1 were able to field their strongest team for the visit of Haddenham 1 and managed to hold the league leaders to a draw. Steve Trevannion won three and Marc Meunier and Peters Zivtins one each. Haddenham’s points came from two wins each for Kieran and Christian Mohan who then combined for the doubles.
You may also want to watch:
Division 2 action saw Haddenham 2 desperately trying for the second promotion spot but probably not doing enough even though they beat St Georges 8-2.
Man of the match was Ben Brown with a maximum in the singles plus a hand in the doubles with Phil Emmerson. Emmerson and son Ed scored two each, only Juan Rodriguez getting on the scorecard for St Georges.
- 1 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 2 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 5 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 6 Theatre group stream panto online for those who missed it due to lockdown
- 7 Spat at police officer tests positive for Covid-19
- 8 Cambs city voted ‘most likely to survive zombie apocalypse’
- 9 Viewers react to 'brilliant' 24 Hours in Police Custody: Black Widow
- 10 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
In Division 3, two teams in the lower reaches of the table fought out a draw when Ely 2 entertained Soham Comrades 5. Rob Pownall won his usual three plus the doubles with Karen Byford who also had a good evening beating Melissa Rule in three and taking Syd Rushton to four sets.
In a semi-final of the Handicap Plate two wins each for Howard and David Leek of Fulbourn 4 balanced the two each by Hugo Brown and Andrew Maguire of Ely 1, setting up a deciding last singles between Tim Leek of Fulbourn and Howard Middleton of Ely.
Leek easily took the first leg but was then drawn into a defensive stand-off and Middleton clawed his way back, taking the last two legs and therefore the match for Ely, who now await the winners of Haddenham 1 and Haddenham 2.