Gordon Did Without Specialist Equipment For His Cycle Time Trail
GORDON Hollingsworth showed that specialist equipment is not a pre-requisite for the sport as he covered 10 miles in 29:14 on a mountain bike in Ely Cycling Club s Tuesday evening time trial. Fellow roadman Nigel Sawtell also gave testimony to the mantra
GORDON Hollingsworth showed that specialist equipment is not a pre-requisite for the sport as he covered 10 miles in 29:14 on a mountain bike in Ely Cycling Club's Tuesday evening time trial.
Fellow roadman Nigel Sawtell also gave testimony to the mantra that "it's not all about the bike" by powering his training machine - complete with rear rack - to a worthy 37:30 over the same distance.
Other fine displays included John Thorogood (28;26), Eddie Green (30:29) and Celia Whitechurch (31:05), whilst stalwarts Derek Bailey (26:08), Malcolm Robinson (27:07) and James Robson (27:22) held the middle ground of the leader board with strong rides.
Near the top nothing could separate Steve Presland and Geoff Brewster (both timed fourth best at 24:37), whilst Tom Sykes (whose father Terry recorded a notable 31:28) negotiated the Mepal - Witchford route in 24:11.
You may also want to watch:
Whilst not his fastest 10-mile time, it was still very respectable in the murky conditions and reflected the relatively slower times of the other riders.
St Ives duo Jason Nixon and Brad White were left to fight out top spot, with Nixon's 23:25 being 24 seconds too good for his team-mate.
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 9 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 10 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
n The club's next event will be the 12-mile Little Downham - Coveney course, held on June 10. As usual riders should meet (at Ely Rugby Club car park) at least 15 minutes before the scheduled start time of 7.30 pm.
All riders of any ability and age are welcome (contact Marc Cox on 01223 263862).