Gordon Did Without Specialist Equipment For His Cycle Time Trail
GORDON Hollingsworth showed that specialist equipment is not a pre-requisite for the sport as he covered 10 miles in 29:14 on a mountain bike in Ely Cycling Club s Tuesday evening time trial. Fellow roadman Nigel Sawtell also gave testimony to the mantra
GORDON Hollingsworth showed that specialist equipment is not a pre-requisite for the sport as he covered 10 miles in 29:14 on a mountain bike in Ely Cycling Club's Tuesday evening time trial.
Fellow roadman Nigel Sawtell also gave testimony to the mantra that "it's not all about the bike" by powering his training machine - complete with rear rack - to a worthy 37:30 over the same distance.
Other fine displays included John Thorogood (28;26), Eddie Green (30:29) and Celia Whitechurch (31:05), whilst stalwarts Derek Bailey (26:08), Malcolm Robinson (27:07) and James Robson (27:22) held the middle ground of the leader board with strong rides.
Near the top nothing could separate Steve Presland and Geoff Brewster (both timed fourth best at 24:37), whilst Tom Sykes (whose father Terry recorded a notable 31:28) negotiated the Mepal - Witchford route in 24:11.
Whilst not his fastest 10-mile time, it was still very respectable in the murky conditions and reflected the relatively slower times of the other riders.
St Ives duo Jason Nixon and Brad White were left to fight out top spot, with Nixon's 23:25 being 24 seconds too good for his team-mate.
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 3 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 8 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
n The club's next event will be the 12-mile Little Downham - Coveney course, held on June 10. As usual riders should meet (at Ely Rugby Club car park) at least 15 minutes before the scheduled start time of 7.30 pm.
All riders of any ability and age are welcome (contact Marc Cox on 01223 263862).