Good things come in threes
PREPARATIONS have started for Ely s second triathlon relay and the city is buzzing with excitement after the success of last year s event. The contest is organised by Ely Swimming Club, Ely and District Cycling Club and Ely Runners. Twenty teams of three
PREPARATIONS have started for Ely's second triathlon relay and the city is buzzing with excitement after the success of last year's event.
The contest is organised by Ely Swimming Club, Ely and District Cycling Club and Ely Runners.
Twenty teams of three will compete at the King's School on Barton Road.
A 400m swim will be followed by a 20km cycle around the surrounding countryside, and the race will be concluded with a 5km run.
You may also want to watch:
Alison O'Connor, from the swimming club, said: "We did this last year as a fun way to raise awareness and profile of three local sports clubs, but because it was so popular and well-supported it now looks like it will become a huge annual event.
"We've had so much positive feedback and people started asking straightaway when the next one will be."
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
Local school children are once again being invited to join in the fun by entering an aquathlon to be held at the same time. This will involve a 100m swim and an 800m run with boys and girls, aged nine to 16 competing for medals in three age groups.
Last year, organisers immediately announced plans to hold the event again and local businesses have been weighing in with sponsorship.
Mrs O'Connor said: "It looks as if we are going to be able to make this year's contest even bigger and better due to the generous support of local businesses."
The Ely Standard has already signed up to sponsor this year's event and Specsavers has paid all the entry fees and sponsored the trophies for the aquathlon.
Other sponsors include: Escape Fitness, the Paradise Sports Centre, Tesco and financial support is also coming from the Mayor of Ely's fund.
There will be plenty to keep spectators and competitors entertained, including a barbecue, refreshments from Starbucks, an ice cream van and bouncy castle. Q103's Black Thunders will provide music and commentary.
Members of all three clubs will be on hand to explain more about their activities and to sign up new members.
- The triathlon relay will be held on the last Sunday of the school summer holidays (September 2) at the King's School, Barton Road, 11am-1pm.
Entry forms for the aquathlon are now available from Specsavers, on Ely High Street.
More information can be found at the Ely Triathlon website, www.elytriathlon.co.uk
Anyone wishing to add further sponsorship should contact Mrs O'Connor on 01353 659526.