Goldie suffers a setback in Athens
THERE was disappointment for Ely s Goldie Sayers in the Athens Grand Prix on Monday. A throw of 59.21m in the third round proved to be her best effort and the 24-year-old finished way down in eighth place. The competition was won by Germany s Christina Ob
THERE was disappointment for Ely's Goldie Sayers in the Athens Grand Prix on Monday.
A throw of 59.21m in the third round proved to be her best effort and the 24-year-old finished way down in eighth place.
The competition was won by Germany's Christina Obergfoll, who recorded five throws in excess of 62m and won with a first round throw of 67.78m.
The Czech Republic's Barbora Spotakova threw a season's best 66.08m to finish second and Sonia Bisset, from Cuba, also celebrated a season's best with 64.65m to take third.
You may also want to watch:
Sayers won the javelin and captained the British women's team to European Cup promotion in Finland last week but picked up a back injury.
Having broken the British record in May, the former King's School student had become a strong medal contender for the IAAF World Championships, in Osaka, next month.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
Last week, Sayers told the Ely Standard she "hoped to shake off the back problem and get back to where she was a few weeks ago".