Goldie is 'delighted' to captain team
ABSOLUTELY delighted - that was the reaction from Goldie Sayers on hearing that she would captain Great Britain s women s team at the IAAF World Championships, in Osaka. The 25-year-old Ely javelin star received news that she had been picked to lead the
ABSOLUTELY delighted" - that was the reaction from Goldie Sayers on hearing that she would captain Great Britain's women's team at the IAAF World Championships, in Osaka.
The 25-year-old Ely javelin star received news that she had been picked to lead the national team after her arrival for this week's acclimatisation training in Macau.
Goldie's mother Liz said: "She had no idea about the captaincy until she arrived in Macau.
"She sent an email telling me that she had been selected and that she was absolutely delighted."
You may also want to watch:
It is the second time that the former King's School student has been appointed captain of the women's national squad.
In June, Sayers spear-headed the British women's promotion to the European Cup's top flight after a convincing team victory in Finland.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
And now Sayers has joined her team-mates as they get to grips with the hot and humid conditions they will face in Japan.
Liz Sayers said: "Goldie is working very hard to acclimatise and temperatures are around 35 degrees Celsius at the moment.
"She suffered from jet lag when she first arrived in Macau but that is to be expected."
Goldie Sayers is a genuine medal contender for the championships, which begin on Saturday.
She will be in action in the heats on Wednesday before hopefully competing in the javelin final on Friday, August 31.