MORE than 60 players took part in Littleport Judo Club s annual age-banded competition. Six home club members competed and between them won five medals. Harry Welchman won gold in the under-27kg category of the eight to 11-year-old age group. Alex Kathro
MORE than 60 players took part in Littleport Judo Club's annual age-banded competition.
Six home club members competed and between them won five medals. Harry Welchman won gold in the under-27kg category of the eight to 11-year-old age group.
Alex Kathro was in formidable form to win all his contests, some with throws and one with a hold down, to take the under-46kg gold medal.
In the under-34kg category, novice Sam Lachmann had a tough draw and picked up valuable experience despite not reaching the final four.
You may also want to watch:
Bradley Inskip beat more experienced players to reach the last four to win a deserved bronze medal.
In the 12 to 15-year-old age group, Nicholas Johnson, at under-60kg, also fought well against older opponents to earn a place in the last four and win a bronze.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 8 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
Andrew Pickerill was in fine form to win all but one of his contests and win the over-66kg silver medal.
Medals were presented by Derek Coult, a coach and referee, and competition controller Denise Oates.
Following the tournament, Bradley Inskip made it a double-medal success when he won an under-34kg bronze in an area competition last week.
Littleport Judo Club welcomes new players, young and old, and meets at Littleport Leisure Centre on Tuesdays from 7pm.
More information is available at the leisure centre or by calling a club coach on 01553 763973 or 01553 840573.