Gold medal for Ely Runner Craig at world championships
- Credit: Archant
ELY Runner Craig Holgate won a gold medal as part of GB Team at the World Trail Running Championships.
Craig was making his GB debut at the race, held in Llanrwst, Wales, on Saturday. The 77 kilometre route consisted of 1km of road before five laps of 15km, with each lap having approximately 500m of vertical climb.
Although he managed to train for the uphill’s and hold his own on them, the downhills were a completely different story. He lost a lot of time on the downhill sections and the really technical underfoot sections, which featured roots, large rocks and fallen trees.
Despite his difficulties, and the humid conditions, Craig still managed to come home in 25th place overall in 6hrs 41mins 3secs. There were 54 finishers.
The race was won by Ricky Lightfoot of Great Britain and Great Britain won the men’s team event.
You may also want to watch:
Craig said: “It was a great weekend. We were based in Llandudno and had to attend both an opening with the standard flag ceremony and closing ceremony. We were stopped by so many well-wishers when we were in our hotel and out and about. I have to say I was a bit overwhelmed at times.”
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion