Gold medal for Ely Runner Craig at world championships
- Credit: Archant
ELY Runner Craig Holgate won a gold medal as part of GB Team at the World Trail Running Championships.
Craig was making his GB debut at the race, held in Llanrwst, Wales, on Saturday. The 77 kilometre route consisted of 1km of road before five laps of 15km, with each lap having approximately 500m of vertical climb.
Although he managed to train for the uphill’s and hold his own on them, the downhills were a completely different story. He lost a lot of time on the downhill sections and the really technical underfoot sections, which featured roots, large rocks and fallen trees.
Despite his difficulties, and the humid conditions, Craig still managed to come home in 25th place overall in 6hrs 41mins 3secs. There were 54 finishers.
The race was won by Ricky Lightfoot of Great Britain and Great Britain won the men’s team event.
Craig said: “It was a great weekend. We were based in Llandudno and had to attend both an opening with the standard flag ceremony and closing ceremony. We were stopped by so many well-wishers when we were in our hotel and out and about. I have to say I was a bit overwhelmed at times.”
- 1 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 2 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 3 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 6 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 7 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 8 Progress on introducing new 20mph speed limits to be discussed
- 9 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 10 War veteran, Freddie, marks 100th birthday