Goals aplenty but only one point
ELY City have kicked-off their Ridgeons First Division season with seven goals but only one point from their first two matches. Tuesday s pulsating match at March Town United ended in a 4-3 defeat for City, who threw everything at their opponents in the c
ELY City have kicked-off their Ridgeons First Division season with seven goals but only one point from their first two matches.
Tuesday's pulsating match at March Town United ended in a 4-3 defeat for City, who threw everything at their opponents in the closing minutes but were unable to force an equaliser.
Ely were also among the goals on Saturday when their campaign began with an eventful 4-4 draw at home to Cornard United.
City went behind to a penalty in the first minute but hit back with four goals before the break.
You may also want to watch:
Goals from Tony Brown and Mark Kirby had put Ely ahead midway through the half and a brace from Dave Daniels, playing on his debut, appeared to have put Ely out of sight.
But Cornard's second goal just before the break gave the visitors hope and they dominated the second half.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
Manager Dennis Lightning had mixed feelings after the game. He said: "It was a strange game. I had no arguments about their penalty and we responded with some superb football.
"We could have easily scored eight in the first half but their keeper made some great saves to keep them in it.
"We defended badly and at the end of the game, I was relieved to get a point."
He added: "It is the first game of the season and there were a lot of players making debuts so I am not going to panic. There are a lot of positives to take from the match."
Ely entertain Whitton United on Saturday. Dave Smith and Tom Pell are unavailable for the game.