NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Ely City make cup progress after epic penalty shoot-out
- Credit: Archant
Ely City came through an epic penalty shootout on Tuesday night in the opening round of the Thurlow Nunn League Challenge Cup.
They eventually prevailed 10-9 from the spot at lower-level Haverhill Borough after their tie ended in a 2-2 deadlock.
City led thanks to a Tom Williams header and a Sam Goodge penalty before seeing their advantage wiped out by the hosts in the final 10 minutes.
Both teams then tucked away their first eight penalties in the shootout before Joe Brannan missed City's ninth attempt.
Harry Reynolds immediately saved the next Borough spot-kick and the two sides then tucked away their next efforts to leave it 9-9.
You may also want to watch:
But Reynolds proved to be the hero for City as he scored their 11th penalty before saving the final Haverhill effort from his rival keeper.
City boss Brady Stone said: "It was disappointing that we couldn't see the game out after leading and dominating, but we got there in the end.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 7 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 8 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
"The penalty shoot-out seemed like it was going to go on forever, but thankfully Harry came up with a couple of massive contributions to get us through to the next round."
City now host Premier Division rivals Godmanchester Rovers in the next round. That match is still to be scheduled.