NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: First session complete as Ely City prepare for first friendly
- Credit: Archant
Ely City’s preparations for the 2018/19 season are underway.
The Robins had their first pre-season training session on Monday night when Brady Stone’s first team were put through their paces alongside the club’s reserve and Under 18 outfits.
All three sides are due to train again tonight (Thursday) when Stone also hopes to complete the capture of goalkeeper Evan Jeckells.
The locally-based shot-stopper is set to join on a dual registration deal with higher-level St Neots Town. Harry Reynolds, the City number one for the last two-and-a-half seasons, is likely to move into the opposite direction to Saints.
Jeckells will then feature when City go to Cambs League side Chatteris for a first friendly of the summer on Saturday (11.30am).
“The boys worked hard in the heat on Monday night for around an hour-and-a-half,” said Stone. “It was good to get pre-season started and also have all three teams working together as we’re very much one club.
“We’re back in again tonight for another tough session before the first friendly on Saturday.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 3 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 4 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 7 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 8 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 9 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 10 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
“We want to win every game we’re involved in, but the main objective in pre-season is obviously to get minutes into the lads.
“It’s not just about fitness, though. It’s a time to try different things and come up with that Plan B and Plan C we may need during the season.”
Stone intends to involve a handful of reserve and Under 18 players in a squad of around 18 players for the game at Chatteris.
It is the first of six friendlies for the Robins. They go to another Cambs League side, Linton Granta, next Thursday (July 12).