Geoff’s winter warmer
WHAT a difference a year makes. Proving that a good winter training season can pay dividends, Geoff Brewster was in cracking form during Ely Cycling Club s first Tuesday evening event. Although more than a minute outside his best time of 19:09, Geoff po
WHAT a difference a year makes.
Proving that a good winter training season can pay dividends, Geoff Brewster was in cracking form during Ely Cycling Club's first Tuesday evening event.
Although more than a minute outside his best time of 19:09, Geoff powered home over the two-lap course, making the best of the cold and windy conditions with a 20:49.
CC Breckland star Alan Newark had to make do with 21:00, while a refreshed Philip Peacock returned to the road with a strong ride of 22:37 for third place.
Another rider benefitting from some intense winter hours on the bike was new star Andy Clarke, who managed to pip club stalwart Darren Cole to fourth place by 14 seconds.
There was a welcome return to the club's youngest rider, Harvey Leadbeater, completing both laps and setting himself a target for future attempts on the course with a strong 32:12 ride.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 6 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 7 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 8 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
Not to be outdone by his sibling, Harvey's brother, Toby turned out for his debut with the club, opting for a single lap on his first attempt and recording a fine 15:28.
The next event for the club is the evening time trial on Tuesday.
Riders should meet at least 15 minutes before the official start time of 6.45pm at the Ely Rugby Club car park.
If you would like to take part, go along and have a go.
For more details check out the website www.elycyclingclub.com or telephone Marc Cox on 01353 749507.
Alternatively, you can take a look on the message board at www.phpbbplanet.com/forum/edcc.html and ask about all things cycling.