Geoff’s winter warmer
WHAT a difference a year makes. Proving that a good winter training season can pay dividends, Geoff Brewster was in cracking form during Ely Cycling Club s first Tuesday evening event. Although more than a minute outside his best time of 19:09, Geoff po
WHAT a difference a year makes.
Proving that a good winter training season can pay dividends, Geoff Brewster was in cracking form during Ely Cycling Club's first Tuesday evening event.
Although more than a minute outside his best time of 19:09, Geoff powered home over the two-lap course, making the best of the cold and windy conditions with a 20:49.
CC Breckland star Alan Newark had to make do with 21:00, while a refreshed Philip Peacock returned to the road with a strong ride of 22:37 for third place.
You may also want to watch:
Another rider benefitting from some intense winter hours on the bike was new star Andy Clarke, who managed to pip club stalwart Darren Cole to fourth place by 14 seconds.
There was a welcome return to the club's youngest rider, Harvey Leadbeater, completing both laps and setting himself a target for future attempts on the course with a strong 32:12 ride.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Not to be outdone by his sibling, Harvey's brother, Toby turned out for his debut with the club, opting for a single lap on his first attempt and recording a fine 15:28.
The next event for the club is the evening time trial on Tuesday.
Riders should meet at least 15 minutes before the official start time of 6.45pm at the Ely Rugby Club car park.
If you would like to take part, go along and have a go.
For more details check out the website www.elycyclingclub.com or telephone Marc Cox on 01353 749507.
Alternatively, you can take a look on the message board at www.phpbbplanet.com/forum/edcc.html and ask about all things cycling.