Gareth finishes first in BBQ tournament
GARETH Gibbs won Ely Tennis Club s BBQ tournament, after beating Peter Stephens 11-8, in a champion s tiebreak. Gibbs and Stephens both won 26 out of a possible 36 games in the round-robin tournament and so the top scoring ladies, Honor Porter (17 games)
GARETH Gibbs won Ely Tennis Club's BBQ tournament, after beating Peter Stephens 11-8, in a champion's tiebreak.
Gibbs and Stephens both won 26 out of a possible 36 games in the round-robin tournament and so the top scoring ladies, Honor Porter (17 games) and Jane Chalk (14 games), partnered Gibbs and Stephens in deciding tiebreak.
In third place was Trevor Gordon-Potts (23 games) and in fourth place was Ken White (23 games).
In the LTA Men's Division Four, Ely I beat Cambridge V, to top the table and guarantee promotion.
Captain Jason Morley and his team Peter Stephens, Geoff Powell and Jason Teckoe, overcame Cambridge 5-3, to record a solid away win in the last match of the season.
The team, which has also included Chris Grayland, remained unbeaten all season with six wins and one draw.
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 4 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 5 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 9 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 10 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
Players interested in joining Ely Tennis Club are invited to turn up at club sessions on Tuesdays 7-9pm and Sundays 10am -12noon.
The club plays at three all weather floodlit courts at the Ely Outdoor Sports Association (EOSA).