GALLERY: Tigers keep pressure on with bonus-point win
- Credit: Archant
Rugby Ely Tigers 31 Swaffham 12
In-form Ely made it seven wins out of eight by easing past Swaffham, on Saturday.
Ely were first to get points on the board when the visitors were penalised for holding on to the tackled player. Joel Scott Paul kicked the three points.
The Tigers continued to hold onto the ball and maintain possession and the opening try was quick to follow.
Ely’s Tom Jackson crossed the line after catching a wide ball to touch down for a converted try in the corner.
You may also want to watch:
But an uncharacteristic mistake from the hosts saw the ball intercepted by one of the Swaffham centres, who sprinted from the half way line to touch down under the posts for a converted try.
But, before the end of the half, Dave Kempers restored order for Ely, breaking through the Swaffham defence to score a converted try.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 3 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 8 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
Swaffham came out for the second half keen to turn the game around. They started on the front foot, scoring an unconverted try in the opening minutes.
Ely stepped up the pressure and a score finally came after Jackson seized on a loose pass to pick-up and dive under the posts for a converted try.
The bonus point try came in the dying minutes of the match after a pass was scooped up by Matt McCarthy, who stepped back down the blindside and offloaded to Callum Pratt.
Pratt offloaded inside to Scott Paul who finished the off the play by scoring a converted try. Lewis Harvey picked up man of the match for a strong performance in the forwards.