GALLERY: Tigers claim second spot with victory in derby
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers guaranteed second place in the league and took the derby bragging rights with a comprehensive 39-14 victory over Newmarket on Saturday.
Mitchell Kennett’s double set the stage for Ely as they got the better of a spirited Newmarket side in Eastern Counties Division One.
Lee Coulson was first on the scoreboard for hosts Ely at Downham Road, before Kennett scored twice.
Jim Storey was next on the scoresheet and the points tally was boosted by Matt McCarthy who added three conversions and a penalty for Ely.
Newmarket fought back admirably, with converted tries either side of half-time, however the Tigers were seldom threatened.
You may also want to watch:
Further tries from McCarthy and Kevin Houghton completed a comfortable win.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse