GALLERY: Testing times for Ely as they come up against the league leaders
- Credit: Archant
Hockey Ely 2 Spalding 8
It was a tough start to the new year for Ely ladies as they lost out to table-topping Spalding.
Ely went down 11-0 when the two sides met in Lincolnshire back in September and the team knew Saturday’s encounter was going to be every bit as testing, with 12 wins and 34 points between the two teams.
Spalding were clinical with their passing from the outset and scored in the first phase of play from push back.
But Ely remained positive and tightened up on Spalding, in a bid to blunt their attacking play, with Flix Remmy and Sarah Sutton doing a good job in midfield.
You may also want to watch:
Ely’s first goal came thanks to dynamic forward play from Jess Haw, who found Jo Rayner to sweep in a clever goal. The second saw Pamela Clarke break through from midfield into the D and from a strong strike from the edge of the area.
Ely’s defence was pushed hard in the second half, with a continual wave of attacks and subsequent short corners awarded.
- 1 Tributes paid to school matron who died from Covid-19
- 2 Student defies challenges of pandemic to achieve first class degree
- 3 People power brings about changes to £800,000 roundabout scheme
- 4 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 5 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 6 Alcohol shoplifter threatened security staff with large blade
- 7 London man jailed for running drugs line between Cambs and capital
- 8 Retired GP's death 'avoidable' if cause of severe chest pain was 'more thoroughly investigated'
- 9 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 10 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
Captain Fiona Bartley put in a sterling performance, with strong tackles along with fellow defenders Ali Woods, Rachel Carpenter and Emily James stopping two goals on the line. Player of the match was Flix Remmy.