GALLERY: Second-half fightback brings victory for Robins

Ely City 4 FC Clacton 2

ELY came from behind to take an ultimately comfortable win over plucky Clacton on Saturday.

Despite controlling the game for long periods, the Robins found themselves 2-1 down midway through the second half but rallied in the final 20 minutes, scoring three goals and sealing their fifth victory in seven matches.

The win moves them up into 13th place in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, albeit having played fewer games than most of the teams above them.

The hosts made much of the running in the early stages and could have taken the lead in the eight minute when strikers Richard Gammon and Andrew Claydon were sent clear on goal. A moment’s hesitation saw the duo leave the ball for eachother before Gammon miscued his shot wide.

Centre back Adam Murray looped a head onto the bar moments later and Gammon should really have opened the scoring in the 13th minute but fired well over the bar from eight yards after Nick Impey’s rasping drive had been parried into his path.

In a rare foray forward, Clacton forced an excellent low save from Lee Pacey in the Ely goal but it wasn’t long before Alan Alsop’s side forced the opening goal, Darren Coe rising highest to loop a header over the goalkeeper.

Most Read

Instead of pushing on for a second goal however, Ely soon found themselves pegged back at 1-1 as Aaron Condon collected a long ball and chipped superbly over Pacey.

The normally ruthless Claydon had a chance to make it 2-1 in the dying moments of the half but mis-hit his shot from six yards when clean through on goal.

Clacton went close to taking the lead after the break only for right back Chris Sterecki to get back on the line and clear the ball with the goal at Condon’s mercy.

The Essex side made no mistake just shy of the hour mark however, Jake Clowsey firing home from a well-worked free-kick routine that left Ely napping.

The Robins needed just three minutes to get back on terms though, Impey collecting a pass and working a yard of space before rifling into the bottom corner.

The hosts pulled into the lead in the 70th minute, substitute Richard Chadwick managing to get a shot off from a tight angle wide on the left, with the defender and goalkeeper both caught cold.

Despite being reduced to 10 men in the last 10 minutes, Sam Parkinson given a straight red for a lunging tackle, they sealed the win through Chadwick who mopped up a cross from five yards.