GALLERY: Ely see off challenge from Cambridgeshire rivals
- Credit: Archant
Hockey City of Ely II 3 Huntingdon II 1
A blistering display from Ely City saw them secure a comfortable win over Huntingdon, on Saturday.
Goals from Nicky Daish, Ellie Alderton and Rhianne Jones wrapped up the win for Ely, who completed a league double over their Cambridgeshire rivals.
Victory keeps Ely in sixth place in East Hockey League Division 4NW, ahead of their trip to Cambridge South, on February 28.
Ely started the match strongly and put the pressure on the Huntingdon defence. Ellie Alderton was able to convert a pass into the D by skipper Neal into a fantastic reverse stick goal. Hunts brought the game level with a penalty corner but this didn’t deter Ely, who played well and were able to take the lead again just before half-time with a goal from Jones.
You may also want to watch:
Ely continued to attack Hunts in the second half and also defended well against repeated attempts to attack on the break. Ely’s third goal came courtesy of an aerial flick from the top of the D by midfielder Daish, over the hunts defence and past the keeper into the top left of the net
Also in action on Saturday were Ely City III, who lost 4-1 at Bourn Deeping II, while the first team went down 4-2 to City of Peterborough.
- 1 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 2 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed