Gallery: Ely remain unbeaten in clash against March
HOCKEY Ely City I 6 March Town II 1 ELY City, still unbeaten and still top of the league after the first six games of the season, entertained March II on Saturday. The game started with the two teams looking evenly matched. Ely may have been guilty of e
Ely City I 6
March Town II 1
ELY City, still unbeaten and still top of the league after the first six games of the season, entertained March II on Saturday.
The game started with the two teams looking evenly matched. Ely may have been guilty of expecting a somewhat easier ride, having convincingly beaten March I earlier in the season. Ely's play was frustrating to watch, as they looked for the killer pass and consistently gave the ball away up front.
After about 20 minutes Tommy Hugo was picked out by Chris Purlant, who directed his pass to the striker to slot home without hesitation.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 3 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 6 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 7 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 8 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 9 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 10 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
Having rediscovered the simple passing game, Ely started to make things look much easier. Stuart Clarke fired the ball into the March goal to make it 2-0 to Ely, followed very soon after the restart by skipper Chris Vincett to make it 3-0.
Badger Rutledge scored what must have been a contender for the goal of the season to make it 4-0 with a trick shot from a short corner. Tommy Hugo added his second goal and Ely's fifth of the day to make it 5-0 to Ely at half time.
The second half started much the same as the first half had ended with Purlant adding to the score sheet with a powerful strike from the top of the D.
March rallied in the latter part of the second half and Ely came under pressure in their half of the pitch as they have so often in the second half this season. March gained a consolation goal that was well deserved as Ely became complacent.
The game ended at 6-1 to Ely, keeping them top of the table for another week.