GOLF: More than 60 golfers take part in Ely City Golf Men’s Club Championship
- Credit: Archant
More than 60 Ely City Golf Club members took part in the club’s championship on Sunday (June 24).
The day was described as ‘glorious’ when 63 golfers battled it out for first place in the Men’s Club Championship.
Steady golf was played in the morning round with Ryan Woods having a one shot lead at the half way stage.
Ed Fahy and Kevin Peacock were the early pace setters with great nett rounds of 67 (five under par).
In the Nett event the early leaders fell away slightly and Isaac Rowlands shot the best round of the day - Gross 70 (two under and an excellent score) and seven under Nett to fly up the leader board by posting a nett 138 (6 under).
He had a tense wait for the later starters to come in to see if they could overtake or force a playoff.
- 1 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 4 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 5 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 6 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Joe Gillett showed class and consistency in his nett rounds of 69 and 70 to finish second on 139.
In the Scratch event, the battle was going on in one group, with Ryan Woods and James Mclaughlin trading blows and the lead switching many times over the last few holes.
Ryan produced an excellent up and down from the slopes of the 17th green to maintain a one shot lead playing the last hole.
James and Ryan matched each other on the 18th for Ryan to hold on to a one shot victory.
Matthew Bowman, club manager, said “It was an excellent result from Ryan, who has recently returned from university in the USA.
“The course was in excellent condition and it was good to see some great golf and scoring in the heat of the summer”