Gallery: Ely City Chalk Up Win Over Needham Market
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION Ely City 3 Needham Market 1 ELY City moved above Needham Market and into ninth spot after beating their Suffolk opponents 3-1 on Saturday. Tony Brown had the first chance to score, but screwed his eighth minute shot wide w
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION
Ely City 3 Needham Market 1
ELY City moved above Needham Market and into ninth spot after beating their Suffolk opponents 3-1 on Saturday.
Tony Brown had the first chance to score, but screwed his eighth minute shot wide when through on goal.
You may also want to watch:
Ben Lawrence's long throws were causing problems in the visiting defence, and in the 29th minute he launched another one into the box and Andy Pettit scored from 12 yards to make it 1-0.
The lead only lasted three minutes however, as City goalkeeper Leigh Follen raced out of his area and cleared the ball straight to Daniel Thrower, who guided the ball into an empty net from 35-yards.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
Butler headed over for Needham Market in the 52nd minute, but the visitors were continually thwarted by Ely's offside trap.
At the other end City took a controversial 73rd minute lead when Russell Flitton's 30-yard effort was tipped on to the underside of the bar by goalkeeper Jones.
The assistant referee did not signal that the ball had crossed the line, but the referee decided that it had and awarded the goal.
Follen denied Smy soon afterwards, and Barber nodded over as the visitors piled forward in search of an equaliser.
In stoppage time however, Robbie Mason broke for Ely and captain Simon Warren clinched the points with a fine shot from the edge of the box.
In the midweek clash with Great Shelford in the Preliminary Round of the Cambridge Invitation Cup, Ely had led 1-0 before a floodlight failure caused the tie to be abandoned.
Ely travelled to Halstead Town on Tuesday (21 October) in the First Round of the Ridgeons League Challenge Cup, but on Saturday are back in league action as they entertain Wroxham.
The following Tuesday sees them entertain Wisbech Town, again in the league.